Schiller statue heads East
East and West Berlin sign a cultural agreement in May 1986. It paves the way for the two sides to exchange works of art.
A statue of Schiller is returned to its original location on Gendarmenmarkt square in East Berlin.
When the Nazis came to power they wanted to use the square as a parade ground, so in 1936 they removed the statue and put it into storage. In 1951, it moved to Lietzensee park in Charlottenburg, which meant Schiller then belonged to West Berlin.
Thanks to the cultural agreement, Schiller was returned to his rightful home outside the Konzerthaus (then the Schauspielhaus) in the middle of Gendarmenmarkt square.
Schillerdenkmal (im Video auf dem Weg zum) am Gendarmenmarkt, 10117 Berlin
MfAA, Schinkelplatz bzw. Marx-Engels-Platz 2, 10117 Berlin