Laying the foundation stone of the Palace of the Republic
A new palace is emerging in East Berlin: the Palace of the Republic.
Berlin Palace once stood on this spot. The GDR authorities had the grand Prussian building blown up in 1950. A “palace for the people” will now take its place.
It will also be home to the GDR's People's Parliament. The modern building's doors will open 32 months later in 1976.
Palast der Republik, Schloßplatz, 10718 Berlin